Very sorry to hear this.  That sucks.  I think I would not be able to
understand much of anything for a few days if this happened to my dad.

I do see some explanation of the Representative Payee program here:
http://www.ssa.gov/payee/faqrep.htm

Among other things, under "How Do I Apply to be a Representative Payee?" it
says:

"You should contact the SSA office nearest you to apply to be a payee. You
must then submit an application, form SSA-11 (Request to be selected as
payee) and documents to prove your identity. You will need to provide your
social security number or if you represent an organization, the
organization’s employer identification number. SSA requires you to complete
the payee application in a face-to-face interview (with certain
exceptions)."

The form it refers to, the SSA-11, is found here:
http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-11.pdf

I don't know much more than that - hope it helps.

-Cameron