>From CNET: ( http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20027800-281.html )

President Obama is planning to hand the U.S. Commerce Department authority
over a forthcoming cybersecurity effort to create an Internet ID for
Americans, a White House official said here today.
It's "the absolute perfect spot in the U.S. government" to centralize
efforts toward creating an "identity ecosystem" for the Internet, White
House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt said.
That news, first reported by CNET, effectively pushes the department to the
forefront of the issue, beating out other potential candidates, including
the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security. *The
move also is likely to please privacy and civil-liberties groups that have
raised concerns in the past over the dual roles of police and intelligence
agencies.*

The Obama administration is currently drafting what it's calling the
National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace, which Locke said
will be released by the president in the next few months.

"We are not talking about a national ID card," Locke said at the Stanford
event. "We are not talking about a government-controlled system. What we
are talking about is enhancing online security and privacy, and reducing
and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords,
through creation and use of more trusted digital identities."

The Commerce Department will be setting up a national program office to
work on this project, Locke said.

Details about the "trusted identity" project are remarkably scarce. Last
year's announcement referenced a possible forthcoming smart card or digital
certificate that would prove that online users are who they say they are.
These digital IDs would be offered to consumers by online vendors for
financial transactions.

Schmidt stressed today that anonymity and pseudonymity will remain possible
on the Internet. "I don't have to get a credential, if I don't want to," he
said. There's no chance that "a centralized database will emerge," and "we
need the private sector to lead the implementation of this," he said.

Jim Dempsey of the Center for Democracy and Technology, who spoke later at
the event, said any Internet ID must be created by the private sector--and
also voluntary and competitive.

"The government cannot create that identity infrastructure," Dempsey said.
"If it tried to, it wouldn't be trusted."

-
04-28-2003: I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and
you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We
should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and
disagree with any administration. - Hillary Clinton