WTF is wrong with the US? Are they totally trying to dismantle everything
that makes the internet work and able to provide the open and innovative
environment of the last decade?

Why doesn't the country simply create a United States Net..call it the
USNet and have all these ridiculous rules such as SOPA, PIPA and Internet
IDs. See how long that lasts.

There were movements to remove ICANN's powers and put that authority under
an independent technocratic body. That seems to be the direction we now
must go, having the US in control via Corporate governance or outright
"ownership" of DNS is a threat to the world's use of the Internet.

At least China keeps it's own ridiculous restrictions to itself and within
its borders. The US has a tendency to Export all it's idiotic copyright
laws to all its trading partners through treaty and bill addendums (aka
bullying).

smh.