http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71835.html

Wash. state to be 7th for gay marriage
By: Mackenzie Weinger
January 23, 2012 03:35 PM EST

Washington state is set to become the seventh in the country to
legalize gay marriage, according to a report Monday.

Democratic Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen announced she would be the 25th
vote needed to pass the same sez marriage bill out of the state
Senate, The Associated Press reported Monday. The Washington state
House already has the necessary support for the measure, and Gov.
Chris Gregoire publicly announced her support for gay marriage earlier
this month.

Washington would then become the seventh state to legalize same-sex
marriage along with New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Iowa,
Connecticut and Vermont. The District of Columbia also recognizes
same-sex marriage.

“I know this announcement makes me the so-called 25th vote, the vote
that ensures passage,” Haugen said in a statement, according to the
AP.

Haugen said she made her decision after taking time “to reconcile my
religious beliefs with my beliefs as an American, as a legislator, and
as a wife and mother who cannot deny to others the joys and benefits I
enjoy. This is the right vote and it is the vote I will cast when this
measure comes to the floor.”

Gregoire announced her support at a news conference on Jan. 4, saying,
“It is time in Washington state for marriage equality. It is time;
it’s the right thing to do.”

The state Senate began considering the bill during a morning committee
hearing, the AP re