No concealed carry?  Try no carry at all, unless you are a celebrity or have
enough money to float a healthy campaign contribution to your local sheriff.
Add to that silly laws that define "assault weapons" based on features
instead of function...
- Barrel shroud, illegal (you know it's that thing that goes up).
- Flash compensators, illegal.
- Pistol gripped rifles, illegal.
- Folding or telescoping stock, illegal.
  See the following PDF for the lunacy that entails determining if your
rifle might just be an "assault weapon"...
  http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
- Magazines greater than 10 rounds, illegal.  Never mind that they still
shoot one round for each pull of the trigger just like
  Grandpa's 740 Remington semi-auto 30-06.  That one just doesn't look so
scary... It must be ok then.  And no laws against how
  many magazines you can carry, but I'm sure that's something coming...
- 10 day "cooling off" waiting periods for purchases.
- Cannot gift a pistol to a family member (even your spouse) without having
the blessing of the state and after paying a $19 fee
  of course.
- All firearm transactions must be recorded (logged) by the state.  It's
none of their business what property I own.
- 1 handgun a month rule.  What does this accomplish?
- No means to actually carry your firearm in a manner that it is readily
available when confronted by a criminal who could
  care less about silly "laws".

So sure... you can "own" a "California approved" firearm in California.
Just don't expect to be able to use it when you need to.

And the best part is... the number of criminals that follow these asinine
and pedantic rules: 0