On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Cameron Childress <camer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I haven't totally been paying attention to the thread.  But it SHOULD
> be free to everyone who wants it. Where do I donate my money so that some
> girl doesn't get knocked up and have a kid at 16?  At 20, at 24, at 30?
>
> Seriously. This is a stupid easy thing to help break poverty in the USA.
>
> Plus (and this is WAAAAY less significant IMHO), some people need it for
> health reasons.

I keep having this dream where we invest in research to produce really
good, easily reversible sterilization techniques. Then we make a rule:
mandatory reversible sterilization at age 12. Then once you are 18,
you can get it reversed at any point for free. There are all sorts of
problems with this approach, obviously, and it trounces on personal
liberty grounds so I couldn't really support the idea if it were
actually possible.

I just can't help but think what a nice change it would be for our
society if we simply turned the standard situation on its head and had
pregnancy be something that you had to actively seek out rather than
it be something you had to actively avoid.

Cheers,
Jud