Until the FCC was pressured to remove the fairness doctrine, there was
no on the air vitriol as we've heard with talk show hosts like Rush
Limbaugh and Randi Rhodes. In fact Limbaugh's show didn't take off
until after it was removed. Additional a corollary rule called the
personal attack rule could have stopped the latest Limbaugh bs very
quickly. From Wikipedia
-----------
Two corollary rules of the doctrine, the personal attack rule and the
"political editorial" rule, remained in practice until 2000. The
"personal attack" rule applied whenever a person (or small group) was
subject to a personal attack during a broadcast. Stations had to
notify such persons (or groups) within a week of the attack, send them
transcripts of what was said and offer the opportunity to respond
on-the-air.

Can you imagine the debate that would have taken place on Limbaugh's
show if that rule was still in effect? I suspect that in the end Ms.
Fluke would have ripped Limbaugh a new one. In other words it would
have been similar to attacking a beached whale.