I used to feel that way about Twitter. Then I remembered that this is the
internet and nobody expects me to read everything. I see what I see. A lot
of it is cool. Now, that applies to using Twitter the way I do, as an
incoming feed -- there are also use cases for setting up an outgoing
stream, like for marketing. Does that help?

In other words, I don't "keep up". I go for days and weeks without looking
at Facebook. Then I wonder what Irene is up to, or whatever, and log on to
find out. As I do so I may see cool jokes, or find out that a friend's kid
won a science fair or something, and hit the "Like" button on that.