Riiiiight.  Someone probably put him up to it for just that reason too.

-_-

Oh, this is politics, but I don't think it is the politics that you are
thinking of.

The prosecution HAD to do something, otherwise people would go ape shit.
  There is no way at all to charge him with 1st degree.  If they went
with manslaughter, there is a high probability that he would be found
guilty.  Second degree could go either way depending on a jury's
interpretation of disregard for human life, but is less likely to result
in a conviction.

The prosecution has covered their ass.  Whatever happens, they can throw
their hands up and say "we tried. we charged him with the most serious
crime we could and 'you guys' found him not guilty" while intentionally
charging him with something serious enough that the required punishment
might give a jury pause.

This is the only way it can play out.  I don't think there is any more
conspiracy than that.

I just hope this doesn't turn into another BS trial full of clowns like
OJ's, but it probably will.