They had to release 30,000 inmates due to overcrowding and horrible care.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/23/us-california-prisons-court-idUSTRE74M3DQ20110523

How people can claim we aren't living in a police state is beyond me.  Do
you know we jail more people than anyone else in the world?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/world/americas/23iht-23prison.12253738.html?pagewanted=all

We have roughly 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds prison
population.  Many of these arrests can be laid directly at the feet of the
failed drug war, with other victimless or non-violent crimes making up
large portions.

Additionally someone that may go in for a relatively minor charge has to
deal with such violence, and such life changing events (rape?), that they
often come out far worse than they went in.

I was in the system for several years as a teenager, until I was
emancipated at 16.  I know that the juvenile system in NY was far easier
than the adult system, but I still saw some really screwed up shit when I
was in residential and gillies.