From: LRS Scout [mailto:lrssc...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:07 PM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: Zimmerman charged in Martin's death...

They had to release 30,000 inmates due to overcrowding and horrible care.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/23/us-california-prisons-court-idUSTR
E74M3DQ20110523

How people can claim we aren't living in a police state is beyond me.  Do
you know we jail more people than anyone else in the world?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/world/americas/23iht-23prison.12253738.htm
l?pagewanted=all

We have roughly 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds prison
population.  Many of these arrests can be laid directly at the feet of the
failed drug war, with other victimless or non-violent crimes making up large
portions.

Additionally someone that may go in for a relatively minor charge has to
deal with such violence, and such life changing events (rape?), that they
often come out far worse than they went in.

I was in the system for several years as a teenager, until I was emancipated
at 16.  I know that the juvenile system in NY was far easier than the adult
system, but I still saw some really screwed up shit when I was in
residential and gillies.