That particular defense has been quite successful for the government
so far. I'm in the 9th Circuit and we've had a couple of cases winding
their way through the system for awhile where the government
accidentally revealed that they had, in fact, done just what was
accused in this case, that they had wire tapped Americans,
domestically, without a warrant.

And, still, the government argued that the defendants didn't have
standing because the evidence was *supposed* to be secret and
shouldn't have been turned over, therefore it doesn't really exist.
They further argue that the defendants should give the evidence back
because it is classified and if they give it back, then they don't
have it, therefore they can't use it to establish standing.

Really. And the arguments have worked a surprising amount of the time.
The courts give, in my opinion, way too much deference to the federal
government about what ought to be secret.

Judah