On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Erika L. Rich <elr...@ruwebby.com> wrote:

> I dont need any games. Never game on the computer, so that's ok. I just
> don't want to lose what I have already invested in. this laptop of mine is
> starting to make crunching noises and after 6 years, I think that might be
> the death knell. So researching now. It may last another 2 years. Who
> knows. ...

I'd highly recommend walking into the Apple store at Mall of Georgia or
North Point and talking to an employee for awhile. They are very accustomed
to people walking in to "switch" and will fill your head with anything you
need to get going.

When I switched there was an adjustment period, and I still operate a
desktop PC as my primary home machine so I have a foot on each side. Unless
you are investing in lots of paid apps, it's pretty painless to switch. If
you do decide to switch, the one thing I'd suggest is to try to embrace the
"Mac way" or doing things as much as possible. The longer you cling to
things like Office and Outlook the more painful it's going to be for you in
the long run.

It's a bit of a shock to the system at first, but there really are pretty
good Mac equivalents to just about everything, but get the stuff that's
designed for the Mac first. The PC software makers tend to do kinda a
crappy job, in general, at porting things over. It will just frustrate you
when they don't work like they did on the PC, so you're going to have to
learn something new anyway - why not make it something that's native and
"built for Mac"?

-Cameron