Sardonicism aside, they would have been shooting the, uh, victim, in the
knife case, which kind of defeats the purpose.  They didn't have to
shoot him.  They could have waited around until he was done if they wanted.

They also called SWAT to handle him after the pepper spray did not work.

Had he been stabbing someone else, I am sure the situation would have
ended entirely differently.

As for the shooting:

- The attack had been going on for 18 minutes before the guy was shot.

- His actions fit the profile of previous drug related incidents where
the attacker was known to have "super human" strength, strip naked and
attack people by biting.

- There was an incident in March where a drug user was hit by a taxi,
attacked first responders and was eventually subdued by 14 (14!)
officers, who had to be treated for blood exposure or injuries.

To quote a doc familiar with this stuff:
“It’s dangerous for the police ... they come in, they have to be
restrained both chemically and physically."

- The attacker managed to eat off 75% of the victim's face before he was
shot, including his forehead down to the bone, both eyes and his entire
nose.  He is in critical condition from these not-at-all serious
injuries from a simple assault.

- The officer shot the attacker only once at first, but it had no
apparent effect. There's one for all the "he could have shot him in the
leg" types that always speak up.

Read that again and tell me how effective a taser would be, or tell me
how many people it would take to subdue you on a good day.

The cop was by himself, he was watching someone probably being killed in
front of him, he was likely familiar with these drug related assaults
and knew he couldn't physically handle it by himself, so he exercised
the only effective option available to him.

The cop escalated his level of force just fine.  He just mentally
crossed of the options he suspected would not be effective before
deciding on one he knew eventually would be.

I would not have had the restraint to fire only once.  I would not have
had the nerves to actually hit the guy, regardless.