"Seems you'd be wrong in that statement: Isn't that how we know an ATF gun
killed Brian Terry?"

Dude, leftist are never wrong.  It is ALWAYS someone else's fault.  How
dare you.

Anyway, here is a classic counter example by ATF agent John Dodson.

On June 1, Dodson used $2,500 in ATF funds to purchase six AK Draco pistols
from local gun dealers, and gave these to Fernandez, who reimbursed him and
gave him $700 for his efforts. Two days later, according to case records,
Dodson—who would later testify that in his previous experience, "if even
one [gun] got away from us, nobody went home until we found it"—left on a
scheduled vacation without interdicting the guns. " (
http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/27/fast-and-furious-truth/?hpt=hp_t2
 )

But, just for the sake of argument, suppose that the ATF did not sell arms
to the cartels directly.  So what?  They were directing the sells.  They
were telling arms dealers to make the sell.  They were the supervisors.

-

Ninety percent of politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation.
- Henry Kissinger

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel,
go out and buy some more tunnel. - John Quinton