" Holder (and Obama if he knew about it, I'm not sure if he did) deserves
plenty of blame for continuing and/or expanding it. "

There is a reason why President Obama invoked Executive Privilege on the
1600 documents about the program they started.

The Supreme Court has ruled that Executive Privilege cannot be used to
shield documents just for shielding sake.  So, if one assumes that the
administration is being honest (I know this is hard, but play along), then
it would indicate a link.  Else, one would have to assume the
administration believes it is above the law (not so hard to believe).

-

Men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all the other
alternatives. - Abba Eban