The blame game started early.  This is from Good Morning America this
morning.

Stephanolpoulos: I'm going to go to Brian Ross. You've been investigating
the background of Jim Holmes here. You found something that might be
significant.

Ross: There's a Jim Holmes of Aurora, Colorado, page on the Colorado Tea
party site as well, talking about him joining the Tea Party last year. Now,
we don't know if this is the same Jim Holmes. But it's Jim Holmes of
Aurora, Colorado.

Stephanolpoulos: Okay, we'll keep looking at that. Brian Ross, thanks very
much.

Why were they looking on a Tea Party website?  Did they check any other
political groups for membership?

Turns out this is a completely different guy.  In fact there are several
Jim Holmes who live in the area.

It would be so nice to have responsible journalism.

At least ABC "corrected" the story (but did not apologize for the mistake).
They blamed social media.

Here's one:  Verify everything,  especially things found on social media
sites (if indeed it where found there).

-

Ninety percent of politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation.
- Henry Kissinger

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel,
go out and buy some more tunnel. - John Quinton