Since then, we have changed our view of the difficulties in bridging the
gulf between the political parties over fiscal policy, which makes us
pessimistic about the capacity of Congress and the Administration to be
able to leverage their agreement this week into a broader fiscal
consolidation plan that stabilizes the government's debt dynamics any
time soon. - S&P

So while S&P was playing politics over raising the debt ceiling, they
were more concerned about consolidating and stabilizing debt. As we
now see they were right since it has ballooned out of control .

.