Yeah, the military securing our northern and southern borders, not to
mention establishing both wars and treaties with the native tribes,
had nothing to do with their success. Or the establishment of
homesteading rights. Or the legal framework for property disputes,
prosecuting criminal acts, establishing a school system, etc.  As
someone whose family lived in the Oregon Territory before it became a
state, I call B.S.  My family came out here for a better life, to
establish a homestead, educate their children, and hopefully flourish
as all the infrastructure was built up. And they did.

Back then, they had a name for people that did it all by themselves: Dead.

Judah