FWIW in the 19th century the railroads were heavily subsidized by the
federal government. For instance the Overland Route (think the last
spike) that was built in the 1860's were financed by federal bonds and
land grants. Similar grants and bonds were used to finance parts of
the Eire and other canals in the 1820's and '30's.

Similarly most of the road built in the 19th century were locally
financed or paid for by states.

Again another case of "You didn't build it."