From: Scott Stroz [mailto:boyz...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:40 AM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: You have to wonder about those against same sex marriage

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Jerry Barnes <critic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "I think the slippery slope is imaginary in this case. Marriage, in
> the eyes of the government is nothing more than a civil contract. "
>
> Then why in the hell aren't people protesting for civl contracts?
> Marriage is different is some manner.  Maybe a purely psychological
perception.

People are protesting for civil contracts - the name of those contracts,
according to the government, is 'marriage'

> "Minors cannot legally enter into contracts, therefore the NAMBLA
> argument is moot."
>
> Not so fast.  Adults with an IQ of 80 can enter into contracts.  Is it
> right that a minor of 17 with a 120 IQ can't enter in a contract?

According to our current laws, they cannot. However, that is a topic for a
different debate.

> "Let's melt that slippery slope, though - 'marriage', in the eyes of
> the government, should be a contract between 2 consenting adults. "
>
> Sure.  And if it were called a civil union, this shit would have been
> over with a long time ago.

Agreed. I think 'marriage' should be left to religious institutions.
All couples would need to file paperwork for the 'civil contract' - outside
of the religious ceremony.

> "Simple, really."
>
> Yes, it should be simple in the eyes of the government.
>

> What is not simple is how to deal with people's perceptions of gay
> marriage.  By what standard are you measuring the standard they have.
>  State after state have shot down gay marriage.  The standard then at
> this point is against gay marriage.  That makes support of gay
> marriage a minority view.
>
> How is support for gay marriage right?  By what standard?
>
> You don't think that is tricky?

There was a time, not too long ago, when people felt the same way about
inter-racial marriage as they do now about gay marriage. It was wrong then.
It is wrong now.

--
Scott Stroz

http://xkcd.com/386/