My own opinion is that I do not think we will ever be able to
determine the root cause here. It was locked in the head of Adam
Lanza. But I did find an interesting brief analysis of a potential
causal factor (not reason but factors associated with the shooting).

http://ideas.time.com/2012/12/15/sandy-hook-shooting-why-did-lanza-target-a-school/

"School shooters have generally been found to 1) have a history of
antisocial-personality traits, 2) suffer from mental illnesses such as
depression or psychosis and 3) tend to obsess about how others,
whether other individuals or society at large, have wronged them.
(These conclusions are similar to the findings of a 2002 U.S. Secret
Service report on school shootings.) These individuals seethe with
rage and hatred and despondency, until they decide to lash out at
individuals or a society they believe has done them great wrong.
Mental health, as well as our failure to address it as a society, is
at the core of these events."

Given Lanza's asperger syndrome and his isolation he may fit this
pattern. Aside from the access to firearms having substantially
increased over the last 20 years, and a concurrent decrease in mental
health services this may happen more often.

I do not think that this is indicative of some sort of societal decay.
to me its more indicative of greed and short sightedness. Better
people making millions get a 15% tax cut than adequate mental health
services be funded.