Well the Secretaries of each of the branches that suspended the program made
the decision, and I suspect it was not a decision made overnight. It was very
shortly after sequestration kicked in, so this is something that had to have
been in the works for a while. I am sure we will never know the true motivation
for this action, but it was a very unpopular one to say the least. It's
interesting that the military wants smarter enlisted members, and for almost
all career service members, higher education is really no longer an option, it
a requirement. So it's kind of akin to shooting yourself in the foot regarding
suspending one of the programs to help service members get the higher educate
their respective service requires.
To be honest though, I doubt that this one instance will prompt either the
legislative or executive branches to speed up the budget process.

Bruce