Probably one of the few budget items they could cut without stepping
on the toes of a weapons manufacturer or lobbyist.  If those impacted
by this and their supporters make enough noise, something will happen.
 The right is already using this in their attack campaign on Obama.
I've seen a lot of chatter on FB and other places with memes about
Obama cutting tuition for the troops while increasing it for illegals.