Yes, but when people say that NATO is "pulling out", what they usually mean is
a total withdrawal, which is not the case, so I wanted to be sure that everyone
was clear on the matter.
It's hit the news wires on more than on occasion that the top brass of the US
military has stated that somewhere in the order of 14,000 NATO troops will need
to stay behind to ensure that the ANSF are fully capable of running their own
security. The ANSF are still a fragile bunch, much like the Iraqi security
forces were prior to our scaling back in Iraq. They are still undisciplined
when bullets start flying. While we do a good job of training them, they still
have a bad habit of going back to their old ways of fighting, if they stay to
fight at all. (this first hand information is accurate as of May 2012 when I
left Afghanistan, things may have improved since then).

Now, there are some good Afghan soldiers out there. The recent attack on the
Kabul airport showed that they have some soldiers and police who are willing to
fight for their country. According to the reports, no NATO forces were involved
in the repelling of the Taliban that attacked the airport. It was all Afghan
led. How accurate these reports are I can't say though. I can find out but I
don't feel like bothering people over there that I know.

So, back to the original point. I do not like the phrase pulling out, because
again it implies a total withdrawal. I think that the more accurate phrase
would be NATO forces are scaling back considerably over the next year or so.