Really, and if there isn't a choice between private schools. For example the
vast majority of the private schools receiving vouchers in Cleveland were
religious institutions. To me that still violates the establishment clause.
Additionally secular private schools charge far above what the vouchers pay
for. The rest have to come out of the parents pockets. Some choice. So far
the program seems to be an attempt to publicly subsidize private religious
education.

Secondly, if private schools were to operate under the exact same rules as
the public schools do, or at the very least in terms of accepting all
children regardless of handicap etc. then their performance would be very
close to public schools. for instance I did an analysis in grad school of
differences between public and private schools in term of academic
performance on the NORC data. When controlling for parental involvement, all
differences between public and private schools disappeared in terms of
academic achievement. In other words it is other factors rather than the
myth that private schools are intrinsically better that account for improved
school performance.

As for the system being broken, that's another myth that's been foisted on
the public by politicians. While the US in not at the top in k-12, it is
certainly not at the bottom, (those countries without a public school system
seem to be over represented at the bottom of the list). Moreover this
country has made some very notable improvements over the last 20 years.

larry

--
Larry C. Lyons
ColdFusion/Web Developer