From: Timothy Heald [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 1:16 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Burnout

I have found only three things that work for me.  If you can take time (on
weekends or whatever) take it.  My main two outlets are reading (fantasy/sci
fi, no technical stuff on down time) or killing stuff online (neverwinter,
everquest or America's army).  I would say the time away from the computer
helps the most.  It's funny I specifically went to my Aunt's house and sat
in her hammock, just to be off line for a few hours, not to long ago.  I
guess I am not burnt though, because I brought a SQL Server book :)

If you really need to be spending your time learning, and you find that the
projects your working on at the office are not stimulating enough, than make
yourself a project.  About 6 months ago I decided I wanted to learn some PHP
and JSP.  So I did a full site redesign on my personal site.  First I added
the base functionality in CF, then I did the exact same thing in PHP, then
in JSP.  I had a lot of fun learning it.  The way I started learning action
script was by taking something I liked that was HTML and JS and migrating it
to Flash.  I had a blast, and learned that I will never in all the days of
my life be a Flash Developer :)  Many times you must force yourself to
create learning experiences.  A friend needed a secondary DNS server the
other day.  I know nothing about DNS.  But I figured it could only be a good
thing to know.  So now I host his secondary DNS.

Not sure if your married or have children.  One of my other surefire ways to
unwind is to just play with my 2 year old.  He really gives me a totally
different perspective on the world.  In his world there is still no evil, no
checkbook or mortgage, just a pillow to throw, or a book to have daddy read.

Timothy Heald
ACP/CCFD :)

Manager Fayetteville ColdFusion User Group
http://www.fcfug.org

Fusebox Advisory Committee Member
http://www.fusebox.org