> Cameron I really liked your response because you so captured the
> essence of it. So how did things fall into place starting your own
> company? I've thought about doing that, but it's always those first
> few clients that are tough. The only steady money makers are those I
> know from my current position, and I could take them with me, but
> those damn ethics would keep me from going after them.

Thanks.  It was a therapeutic public release I think.  Company's going well.
I've found a few clients through my connections with ACFUG.  Meet enough
people, help enough people, stay in touch with enough people, most will
scratch your back too eventually...  Also brought one client with me from my
last job, but it was all above board, no sneaky client stealing...

The key if you don't have some startup capital is finding a low stress,
steady job to "pay the bills" while you try to drum up business.  Grow it
organically, don't try to rule the world overnight.  Go to CFUG meetings, go
to other technology events, get involved.  Eventually you'll see the right
situation come to light...

> I've got like a dozen unfinished awesome pet projects that
> would rule the world...heh

And about these "projects"...  :-)  Those are the death of me!  I don't know
how many times I've said something to the effect of "Well, I'll have time to
do ______ just as soon as I finish this pet programming project".   Michael
Dinowitz may chime in here.  My casual observations of him on the list over
the years lead me to believe he's very much that way also.  Always a pet
project to work on, never enough time in the day.

I think it's very important to set aside some time specifically NOT to work
on the project every day/week/month and just don't work on anything.  It can
be really hard to do, but if you don't, you end up mired and demoralized in
a sea of unfinished things.  Nothing to show for the seeming hours you've
worked on things.  As in: "What they heck *was* I doing all July?  I'm no
farther along than I was in June!".  That's been my biggest hurdle I think.
I guess a hobby would be the best relief for something like that...

-Cameron

Cameron Childress
Sumo Consulting Inc.
---