What about for cultures prior to "white" European influences? I seem to
recall reading reference to Indian (not Native American) cultures in early
writings where a woman with pale skin was seen as beautiful.

In this case, is it not likely that laborers would have darker skin than the
elite class that stayed indoors and didn't work? So the skin color becomes
an indicator of actual social status as opposed to just an arbitrary color
bias? Similar parallels can be drawn to small or crippled feet on women, and
extremely long, unweildy fingernails among men some high classes of Asian
cultures.

Kevin Graeme