> Ewwwww. Have you ever tried them Beth?

no, but i would attempt to try them were I offered some.

Recently I was offered the opportunity to try a gumboot.   I said SURE,
until I was asked to clean the gumboot.

A gumboot is a mollusky thing - a chiton, kind of like a sea slug with six
hard armor plates on its back.  The top is matte black and the bottom looks
kind of like a mussel.  These were steamed or boiled and they are rather
firm. To clean them (they weren't cleaned) you have to rip off the armor
plates.  When you do this horrible green gook comes out of the middle, all
over your hands and makes you retch into the garbage can.   You then wash
the green goo out of the gumboot.

I then refused to try the gumboot, I was berated until I managed to swallow
a tiny bit, without chewing.

Apparently, while the population here calls the gumboots gumboots, they are
NOT gumboot chitons.  Gumboot chitons have red stuff over their scales.

This is a picture of the thing I ate - the black leather chiton :
http://web.mit.edu/corrina/tpool/chiton.html