thanks, BenD

short answer:

he's holding a grudge about some things that happened
10 - 12 years ago.

and about a whole bunch of stuff, I'm 200% wrong and
he's 0% wrong.

and I get no credit for all the changes and improvements
I've made.

he thinks it's perfectly ok to be rude to me.

I am being "correct" or cordial, and doing my best to
avoid him.

This isn't always easy - he comes over a lot to see Mom,
raid the fridge, do his laundry, use a table with good
lighting to work on his school art projects, etc.

I tend to retreat to the den and my computer.

Sad, huh?

Could be worse - one of my wife's friends had her son
almost run her down in the driveway with the car...

-Ben