I guess my point here is that you don't have to use these things when
building apps in ASP.NET. You choose too.

The same thing applies in every other platform/language there is.

I consider the fancy form stuff in .NET as part of the tools they have
provided, while it does exist outside of VS.NET and anybody can run
them, they are still a part of the tools that MS created and included in
the platform.

<cfform> is a tool, not part of the platform. The platform doesn't and
should provide things for you, the tools provide these things.

Maybe it is a difference of opinion and terms, but what you are talking
about is part of the tools.