Most of what you are talking about is not a function of ASP.NET, but of
editors such as Visual Studio.NET.

If you have ever worked with .NET code for a website that was not
written in VS.NET you would see the same thing you see in every other
language.

Don't mistake the tools for the platform. The Platform you choose is as
limiting as you make it. VS.NET comes with a number of pre-built things,
a number of which I have had problems with.

MS introduced things to web developers that they had never really used
(I speak broadly here, don't be offended). People were not familiar with
separating code from interface; it seems fast and easy to do it that
way. And for small applications it may be.

I get in this "one thing is better than the other" argument all the time
with people. Before you can claim one is better than the other, first
look at where the pros come from, is it from the platform or from the
tools? If it is from the tools that just means somebody took some time
and developed some things for you to use with their platform.

Don't confuse the two, because they are not the same.

You
> can therefore place most, if not all, your logic at the top of the
page.
> I know you can hack this in CFMX using <cfsavecontent>, but it's nice
in
> ASP.NET in that MS has acknowledged that, yes, it's nice to have your
> logic in one place and here's a way for you to do it.
>
> Also, you can pretty well write all your display code using built-in
> server side code.  This is more akin to traditional development - I
don't
> literally write options in a select box in Java Swing, for example.
But