Hi Adam ...one of the great lesser-known tv series that made me cry with
bittersweet laughter is called The Singing Detective...  I also really
enjoyed Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren. A Year In Provence was pretty good
too in my opinion. Also Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett.

Other ones I have enjoyed but probably wouldn't buy:
The Avengers
The Vicar of Dibley
The Fugitive
Mulberry
The Brittas Empire - (very funny!)
Chef (the old series)
Inspector Morse
Cracker (the Robbie Coltrane version)
Lovejoy
Miss Marple
James Herriott series

I don't watch tv anymore but I sometimes enjoy Judging Amy...

Patrick