> If I'm an expert shot with the weapon (and only if I'm an expert shot)
then I'd
> aim to wound.

Never shoot to wound, and never shoot to kill.  Shoot to stop.

You can wound him, but many drugs favored by criminals will reduce or even
negate the effects of a wounding shot.  In fact, the word "Assassin" was
derived from the word for Hashish, because the hired killers would smoke it
to eliminate their inhibitions and deaden the effects of any wounds received
on the job.

You can shoot someone and kill him as a result, but between impact and death
he can still fatally wound you if his nerves are still working.  Remember
that he might be artificially strengthened through the use of drugs.

Your goal is to "shoot to stop," regardless of what comes next.  This means
shocking his system sufficiently to instantly shut down his nerves.  Twenty
years ago I wrote a four-part article for SWAT Magazine titled "The
Ballistics of Penetration" that did a fairly good job of explaining it all.
There are a lot of factors involved that can work against your self defense,
so it's not so simple of a subject.

Wow, was it that long ago?  Am I that old now?

> Thigh, leg, arm, etc. But it would depend on the situation a bit
> more. Does it look like he was chasing someone? If so, then he may not be
> dangerous to me. If not, he's a target. The situation has to be defined a
little
> better.

It won't be.  You will never have that luxury.

The sudden brain rush from the "fight-or-flight" chemical cocktail flooding
your synapses will suppress organized thinking and put your reactive
instincts into play.  The more you have been properly trained in combat
shooting, the more your reactive instincts will include the training that's
been drilled into you.

> And if I'm carrying a Glock, then I've got to have a license and know
when/how
> to use it so there's no concern with the law. Do I care if he's poor or
> oppressed? no more than I'd care if he's rich and the presidents kid.
> Threatening with death is threatening with death no matter who or what the
> person is.

Well said!

<preach-alert>
But let's pray every day that no life ever need be taken.  God should be the
sole author of every entry into the Book of Life, and we must always be
mindful of the consequences of violating this rule without sufficient
justification in His eyes.  Always honor the heavy responsibilities you take
on by exercising your right to own a firearm.  If you're looking for
effective defensive combat training, it doesn't get any better than Chuck
Taylor (http://www.chucktaylorasaa.com).
</preach-alert>

And speaking of Texas, it is indeed my favorite state.  I spent three of the
best years of my life there in the greatest school on Earth
(http://www.mma-tx.org).

There's only one thing wrong with the joke, though: no self-respecting Texan
would have wasted all that ammo getting the job done! :)

God Bless Texas!

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis
Advanced Intensive ColdFusion MX Training
http://www.ColdFusionTraining.com
E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone:   770-446-8866
Team Macromedia Volunteer for ColdFusion
http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/