> So, I've never had to serve on a jury - but something I've always
> wondered about - they can't force someone who is supporting their family
> to go on jury duty, can they? Or how about a single guy/gal - what if
> they can't afford to pay rent because they can't go to work?

They most certainly can, and they will.  Hospital stays and military
deployments are typically honored, but the rest is fair game for jury
selection.  If they didn't do it this way then everyone would have an
excuse.  It's kind of like a civilian version of being called up from the
Reserves for duty to your country.

If the jury candidate can document clear cause for relief from service, then
that _sometimes_ works, but not always.  And some courts require jury
candidates to show up in person to make their claim for relief with
documentation in hand.  Every court is different, so make sure to check, and
get the rules in writing (or a printout from the court's website), not by
what some clerk tells you.

I know a guy who was heavily medicated for a heart condition which also
required that he not undergo stress.  He was scheduled for an out-of-town
business meeting weeks in advance of his jury notice; he explained his
situation to the court clerk who told him he shouldn't have a problem being
relieved from duty.

He assumed this meant there wouldn't be a problem if he didn't show up.  Big
mistake.

During his business meeting a few states away from home, no more than three
hours after he was supposed to arrive for morning jury selection, federal
marshalls arrived with handcuffs drawn and an arrest warrant in hand.

The marshalls brought him back to his home state and in front of the judge,
where he explained his situation and also his physician called the court
clerk with an explanation for the judge.  Everything was finally resolved
and he was relieved from service, but it took an affidavit from his
physician to be filed to get him relieved.

One piece of advice: never say to a judge, "You can't do that."  They love
to hear it, because it's always so much fun to prove you wrong.  Don't try
to use layman's logic in determining what a judge can and can't do, because
that's mostly up to his discretion.

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis
Team Macromedia Volunteer for ColdFusion

Advanced Intensive ColdFusion MX Training
ColdFusion MX Master Class:
March 31, 2003 - April 4, 2003
http://www.ColdFusionTraining.com