Twice I have asked for a postponement when I had a vacation or business
trip scheduled.
Have never asked to be excused.

Several times, I have shown up, wasted most of a day, to be excused from
the jury waiting room.
That's ok. Would have been willing to serve. Have served (once).

(Our county's Superior Court has a one day/one trial/one year policy - if
you are there for a day without being picked, or serve on one jury, you are
off the hook for one year.)

Figure if I ever get charged with something, I hope there are people as
intelligent and fair-minded as I am willing to serve <g>.

-Ben