First, be aware that most Linux systems /are/ IBM compatible.  What you mean
is "Gimme a windows system!"  Resistance is futile, you have been
assimilated.  (he types in Outlook on a Win2k box)

If you don't mind expensive, Sony makes them about as thin and light as you
could want with decent load outs.  I'm partial to IBM Thinkpads (which
obviously fit your last criterium :-) and Toshibas because they tend to be
durable, reliable, and you can get them with trackpoints, which people
either hate or love.

HTH.

--  Ben Doom
    Programmer & General Lackey