This is the function over form argument, and I am saying it does not apply
to computers. If you buy a machine because it looks cool, you are no longer
purchasing a tool but instead a decoration.

It is hard to do this with computers, because the only person there to
impress is yourself.

If you are buying a server, that's one thing, because you can show it to
other admins and say, 'Hey, look at this!' and they will recognize the
quality of your box.

But alienware makes no servers, they make game platforms. When was the last
time anyone went over to see someone's new PC? So the case looked cool, so
what? 99% of the time that box is being run with one person in the room who
couldn't case less about how it looks.

What matters is how it performs, and alienware is good at making things go
faster. But you could go to arstechnica and find out every trick you need to
know to make the machine go faster.

Which leave the case design as the only distinguishing feature of
alienware's value proposition. As we have already stated, the case is what
stands out and it will primarily only be seen by the owner of the machine.
Meaning, someone pays 25 - 75% more for a PC to glamorize a machine only
that person will look at. This means people are paying thousands for a case,
one that (pragmatically speaking) serves almost no other function.

What makes this different from furniture is that the form of furniture is
important to people. Other people sit on it, and it is either comfy, tall,
squishy, hard, etc.

But the form of a PC shouldn't really matter, since 99% of the time no one
ever sees it.