Mike H-

You refer to the solitary nature of most computing tasks, and to impressing one's
friends.

You also say the "unique value" of Alienware is its case, and this is a poor reason to
justify purchasing it.

And you say "feel free to correct me".

If I have a choice between two items of comparable functionality, quality, and price,
but one item pleases me in a way the other does not, then I would buy the more
pleasing item. Ceteris paribus, if Alienware's case is more attractive to me, then it
might sway my purchasing decision. But the important point is if everything else is at
least as good, including price.

This has nothing to do with impressing friends. It has to do with my inner pleasure
"hey, I _like_ this!". If I'm going to spend hours at a pc, it doesn't hurt to find it
attractive as well as have it work well.

Alienware has machines configured the way I would want, with components and drivers
tested to work well together. I've built pc's in the past and installed pieces that
"didn't play well with others". That caused a lot of time, effort, stress, and
sometimes money getting the system to behave.

Alienware has a reputation for good tech support. They and Dell are my two most likely
choices for a new pc. I agree with BenD that the design alone would not make the
"case" for buying it <g>, but if you like the function then the form doesn't hurt!

Consider yourself corrected. :-)

-Ben