You, of course, are correct.

When I said "Canada as a whole", I only meant the Government as a whole.

Talking about the Canadian people as a whole is beyond my ability and knowledge.

Everything else you said I also agree with. Thanks for making my own feelings so clear.

Jerry Johnson

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 04/02/03 12:08PM >>>
I think you should be careful when you talk about Canada as a whole. I am
from Canada and I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

I can't speak for the government, but I can tell you that the government is
not anti-American and it is not pro-Hussein.
Canada has a strong record of supporting international diplomacy, so their
position makes sense from that perspective.

Personally I am glad to see someone trying to kick Hussein's butt, but I am
also horrified and saddened by the civilian deaths.

I guess the U.S.'s action represents a slap in the face to the U.N., but
maybe they needed that slap. On the other hand, that doesn't mean that all
other governments should necessarily join in that slap. Privately many in
the Canadian goverment may applaud it while still recognizing the need to
stand on what they perceive as the side of international law and diplomacy.

I know that many in Canada support the US-led action and wish our government
had acted differently, and certainly many like myself support the U.S.
troops regardless of their feelings about the whole action. Others feel
strongly that the troops shouldn't have gone in. John Stanley's satirical
statement about clarity points to the shades of grey that are felt by people
here just as much as they are in the States. I don't see how anyone can
expect consensus anyways, since war is about division - not unity.

Personally I think Bush is a cowboy, and brought the Canadian government's
reaction on himself. After all our government had put forward a compromise
proposal that the US decided to reject (based of course on their assessment
of France and Germany's position). It would have been pretty unlikely for
them to have taken sides with the Bush administration.

Personally, I find that Canadians can be arrogant and negative prigs at
times and the best of us know it, even if we rarely admit it. And I detest
the anti-Americanism I sometimes see here, especially since it's so
knee-jerk. I hate prejudice in any form.

-Patrick