I'm using the netgear "g draft" WAP (WG602) - it's working good. Not sure why you're
getting poor performance with your current set-up, but both the b and "g draft" both
run in the 2.4Ghz band. If your current problem is a matter of interference (yourself
or a neighbor with a 2.4Ghz phone, or certain type of microwave oven?), you might
experience the same problems with g as you are currently with b.

The other alternative would be to use 802.11a, which operates in the less busy 5Ghz
band, but I don't have experience with this equipment, and I'm not sure if they make a
tri-band 802.11b/g/a card yet. You'd be much more limited in where you could connect
if you had just an 802.11a card, but if it's just for home use and you don't expect to
be connecting from public access-points at cafe's or other offices, then it might be a
good solution.

Check a few of these write-ups before buying:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/network/index.html

>I read in pcmag recently that many of the vendors for "g" style wireless
>(sorry, I can't remember the _exact_ spec name) are selling units that
>can be upgraded to meet the "real" spec when its finalized. That being
>said - I'm really beginning to hate the flakiness of my current "b"
>style wireless network. It works... about 60% of the time. Enough for
>browsing - not quite enough for me to nicely Remote Machine in. The "g"
>style is supposed to be quite stronger... but does anyone have any
>practical experience with these units? I'm thinking of picking up a
>linksys unit at Best Buy. They have a nice return policy so at worse -
>I'm out my time, nothing more.

>===
>Raymond Camden, ColdFusion Jedi Master for Mindseye, Inc
>(www.mindseye.com)
>Member of Team Macromedia (http://www.macromedia.com/go/teammacromedia)
>
>Email    : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Blog     : www.camdenfamily.com/morpheus/blog
>Yahoo IM : morpheus
>
>"My ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda

Host with the leader in ColdFusion hosting.
Voted #1 ColdFusion host by CF Developers.
Offering shared and dedicated hosting options.
www.cfxhosting.com/default.cfm?redirect=10481