Although not a test for teachers....

  My GF was correcting CMT (Connecticut Mastery Tests) last year.  At the
time, she was not trained for this (yet), so was making a few educated
guesses.  She made the mistake of asking my opinion on a few things and we
got into multiple fights over it.

  There are two items that stick out in my mind as sources of
contention.  The first was whether or not she should take away points for a
student who used poor grammar.  I said she should.  She didn't think so,
because that particular portion of the test was not testing grammar it was
testing reading comprehension.  I think a 6th grader should be able to
write complete sentences, end of story.  Oddly that same student did write
correct sentences in the "Grammar Testing" portion of the test.

  The second thing that shocked me was another reading comprehension
thing.  Students had to pick out whether a sentence was fact or opinion,
but all sentences were written as fact.

   I remember this sentence:
    They hope to witness the exiting event.

  Which I declared as a fact.  The GF said it was an opinion because it
used the word hope.  If it said "The event is exciting" that would be
opinion.  But "they hope to witness the exciting event" is a fact.

  I don't remember if these tests were district wide or state wide.

  I'm glad I got this off my chest.

--
Jeffry Houser | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
AIM: Reboog711  | Phone: 1-203-379-0773

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm