Tim is probably operating from the point of view of a gun owner.

However unless you are witnessing someone bashing away with a baseball
bat in a robbery attempt, I don't know how smart it is for an unarmed
person to run after a thief who has a very high probability of being
armed with a gun, if you yourself are not similarly armed.

I also don't know the implications, having a gun as a citizen, for
running after a presumed thief with weapon drawn, or shooting behind the
individual. It's a scenario best left up to the cops and those with
relevant training in most cases.

-Gel