I use trend charts at Yahoo Finance.  If it is above it trend mark, I look
into it.  I invest mostly in Mutual Funds.  Right now I am 100% in the
Janus Fund, which is up around 20% for the year.  It has done good for me
so far this year.  But with the mutual fund scandal Janus got involved in,
I am watching it like a hock.  Any hint of a possible good size drop and I
am pulling the plug.

You can also look at what sectors are doing well and poor.  Every Monday in
the USA today money section on the back page is a great chart to help you out.