From: Charlie Griefer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 2:26 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: css, xhtml, standards, bandersnatch, etc...

Hi Sandy:

Couple of points...

First off, I agree whole-heartedly that coding for standards is in every
coder/programmer's best interests.  As long as we collectively continue to
jump through hoops to get our sites to render in non-standards compliant
browsers, we offer the browser manufacturers no incentives to adhere to
standards themselves.  We've already established a precedent that we'll
write conditional after conditional and redirection after redirection to
accomodate them.

It definitely is liberating to be able to say, "I code to an accepted
standard.  If your browser doesn't view it properly, it's the browser's
fault".  Of course, not everybody can say that.  Many are bound to make
their sites accessible to as many browsers as possible and that
unfortunately means having to continue the hoops-jumping-thru.

Now I would like to vent about CSS...I've tried lately to move away from the
table-based layouts in favor of css based layouts (which you seem to be a
staunch advocate of).  But doesn't CSS, at this point in time, suffer from
the same problems of having to do "browser-sniffing"?  Even on your
blog...you used the rounded box corners courtesy of cssvault.  Well, doesn't
that style have an explicit 'condition' (for lack of a better term) to
address a specific browser?  My latest attempt at a table-less layout is at
http://130.13.124.245:6699/comix/titles.cfm  I built it while testing in IE
5.5/6 (yes, yes, i know...).  It looks...horribly bad in some other
browsers.  I understand this to be due to IE's improper rendering of the box
model.

So one of the more prominent browsers out there (really, the most prominent
browser) misinterprets the padding/margins on a div/span.  So once again, we
(coders/programmers) are forced to employ 'hacks' to accomodate different
browsers.

Bottom line is that I'm all for adhering to standards.  I'm all for writing
code that is faster/more efficient/more portable.  But the one big question
that I guess lingers in my mind is...  "are we there yet?"

After a few unsuccessful attempts at table-less layouts, I say no.  Curious
as to what opinions others have (in spite of what practices they may
employ).

Charlie