I think that this survey is much more valid than the other ones we've tried.

http://politics.beasts.org/

FWIW, here are my scores:
http://politics.beasts.org/scripts/results?surveyid=838428544

Axis Position
1 left/right -7.2199 (-0.4346)
2 pragmatism +2.2182 (+0.1335)

Anyhow the following is part of the rationale of the survey given by
its authors.
--
politicalcompass.org is a web site which asks a number of opinion
questions of its visitors, and then places them in a two-dimensional

These suspicions are compounded by the problem that
politicalcompass.org's methods are not open and, therefore, it is not
possible to determine whether their selection of questions carries a
bias which its operators are using to further their own ends.

The purpose of this site is to do a survey of this type properly and
openly, so that the methods and data in use are open to inspection.
More detail

The proper way to do this is to collect a bunch of questions and a
bunch of answers to them, then take the space defined by all the
answers to the questions, and construct a spanning basis for it. The
natural way to do this is with principal components analysis, though
as a non-statistician I can't comment on whether this is actually the
best approach. We should then be able to discover -- in terms defined
by the answers to the questions set -- the significant axes of
variation in the data.

This means that all the results we get are defined by the data: we do
not measure anyone's views according to criteria we set out, but
according to endogenous criteria. The only points at which our
judgment enters the method are

     * when choosing questions (or, rather propositions); and
     * when we give context to the results.

The first of those shouldn't matter, if the questions are reasonably
unbiased and cover a wide enough range of subject materials. The
second doesn't matter, since it's just a presentational issue.
--

So far I'm going over their analysis, and looking at how they did the
factor analysis, it looks pretty good so far. I'm going download

larry