I am sure ferret farms, like puppy farms, dont' do the genetic research to pull genetically weak animals out of the breeding program.  When you buy from a reputable breeder you buy an animal whose breeder guarantees its health (at least in dog world)
.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Larry C. Lyons
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 3:29 PM
  Subject: RE: Later

  It hits in clusters. After this we're sticking with private breeders.
  The animals from the smaller breeders seem to do a lot better, have
  considerably fewer problems, and are generally more healthy that the
  ones from Marshall Farms.

  MF is the Microsoft of the ferret world. If you go into pet stores,
  like Petco etc, the chances are that these ferrets are from Marshall
  Farms. People are starting to see that these ferrets have a lot of
  susceptibilities to endocrine related cancers etc. It may be from a
  combination of pushing out too many ferrets from too small of a gene
  pool, along with very early neutering.

  I've been talking with some  vets who specialize in exotics like
  ferrets and the numbers do not look good. Proportionately MF ferrets
  seem to have a lot more problems than those from small or hobby
  breeders. If I can get funding for this , I'd love to do a study on
  this. Although I would not be surprised if MF would try to block its
  publication.

  As for the fourth time. Remember ferrets only live 5 to 8 years.
  First there was Ryoga, who developed first adrenal sarcoma 4 years
  ago, then insulinoma 3 years ago, then he died of complications of
  both at age 7. Which is very old for a ferret. then Augustus has
  begun to follow the same route. Finally the latest stuff is happening
  to Osmar.

  As a side note, all 3 are Marshall Farms ferrets.

  larry