Paul,

If you can wait until the new year, the telecom guy here says that there will probably be VERY aggressive selling going on. The cell companies REALLY need to compete now that numbers are portable, they just are not going to do it until after the holidays (they figure that people giving gifts are going to buy regardless). He tells me that the deals should be quite good.

As far as companies, he recommends Verizon or AT&T Wireless. Avoid Sprint like the plague, their corporate culture is that time spent on customer service is wasted. They simply DO NOT CARE about their customers.

Verizon:
Pro - Largest network, good service
Con - Tend to charge for added features that others include (call waitiing, forwarding, etc) Lots of nickel and dime

AT&T Wireless:
Pro - Best Customer Service in industry (according to my guy here), good network (about equal to Sprint PCS, but be careful in rural areas)
Con - Some connection issues in outlying areas. May be slightly more expensive.

Hope this helps...