"The Cow Jumped Over the U.S.D.A.

*http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/02/opinion/02SCHL.html?ei=1&en=187e49a57
1ff993a&ex=1074084856&pagewanted=print&position

1ff993a&ex=1074084856&pagewanted=print&position"http://www.nytimes.com/2
004/01/02/opinion/02SCHL.html?ei=1&en=187e49a571ff993a&ex=1074084856&pag
ewanted=print&position>=*

> **

> *By ERIC SCHLOSSER*

> Alisa Harrison has worked tirelessly the last two weeks to spread the

> message that bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease, is

> not a risk to American consumers. As spokeswoman for Agriculture

> Secretary Ann M. Veneman, Ms. Harrison has helped guide news coverage
of

> the mad cow crisis, issuing statements, managing press conferences and

> reassuring the world that American beef is safe.

> For her, it's a familiar message. Before joining the department, Ms.

> Harrison was director of public relations for the National Cattlemen's

> Beef Association, the beef industry's largest trade group, where she

> battled government food safety efforts, criticized Oprah Winfrey for

> raising health questions about American hamburgers, and sent out press

> releases with titles like "Mad Cow Disease Not a Problem in the U.S."

> Ms. Harrison may well be a decent and sincere person who feels she has

> the public's best interest at heart. Nonetheless, her effortless

> transition from the cattlemen's lobby to the Agriculture Department is

> fine symbol of all that is wrong with America's food safety system.

> Right now you'd have a hard time finding a federal agency more

> completely dominated by the industry it was created to regulate. Dale

> Moore, Ms. Veneman's chief of staff, was previously the chief lobbyist

> for the cattlemen's association. Other veterans of that group have

> high-ranking jobs at the department, as do former meat-packing

> executives and a former president of the National Pork Producers
Council.

> The Agriculture Department has a dual, often contradictory mandate: to

> promote the sale of meat on behalf of American producers and to

> guarantee that American meat is safe on behalf of consumers. For too

> long the emphasis has been on commerce, at the expense of safety. The

> safeguards against mad cow that Ms. Veneman announced on Tuesday --

> including the elimination of "downer cattle" (cows that cannot walk)

> from the food chain, the removal of high-risk material like spinal
cords

> from meat processing, the promise to introduce a system to trace
cattle

> back to the ranch -- have long been demanded by consumer groups. Their

> belated introduction seems to have been largely motivated by the
desire

> to have foreign countries lift restrictions on American beef imports.

> Worse, on Wednesday Ms. Veneman ruled out the the most important step

> protect Americans from mad cow disease: a large-scale program to test

> the nation's cattle for bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

> The beef industry has fought for nearly two decades against government

> testing for any dangerous pathogens, and it isn't hard to guess why:

> when there is no true grasp of how far and wide a food-borne pathogen

> has spread, there's no obligation to bear the cost of dealing with it.

> The United States Department of Agriculture is by no means the first

> such body to be captured by industry groups. In Europe and Japan the

> spread of disease was facilitated by the repeated failure of
government

> ministries to act on behalf of consumers.

> In Britain, where mad cow disease was discovered, the ministry of

> agriculture misled the public about the risks of the disease from the

> very beginning. In December 1986, the first government memo on the new

> pathogen warned that it might have "severe repercussions to the export

> trade and possibly also for humans" and thus all news of it was to be

> kept "confidential." Ten years later, when Britons began to fall sick

> with a new variant of Creutzfeldt-Jakob syndrome, thought to be the

> human form of mad cow, Agriculture Minister Douglas Hogg assured them

> that "British beef is wholly safe." It was something of a shock, three

> months later, when the health minister, Stephen Dorrell, told
Parliament

> that mad cow disease might indeed be able to cross the species barrier

> and sicken human beings.

> In the wake of that scandal, France, Spain, Italy, Germany and Japan

> banned imports of British beef -- yet they denied for years there was
any

> risk of mad cow disease among their own cattle. Those denials proved

> false, once widespread testing for the disease was introduced. An

> investigation by the French Senate in 2001 found that the Agriculture

> Ministry minimized the threat of mad cow and "constantly sought to

> prevent or delay the introduction of precautionary measures" that
"might

> have had an adverse effect on the competitiveness of the
agri-foodstuffs

> industry." In Tokyo, a similar mad cow investigation in 2002 accused
the

> Japanese Agriculture Ministry of "serious maladministration" and

> concluded that it had "always considered the immediate interests of

> producers in its policy judgments."

> Instead of learning from the mistakes of other countries, America now

> seems to be repeating them. In the past week much has been made of the

> "firewall" now protecting American cattle from infection with mad cow

> disease -- the ban on feeding rendered cattle meat or beef byproducts

> cattle that was imposed by the Food and Drug Administration in 1997.

> That ban has been cited again and again by Agriculture Department and

> industry spokesmen as some sort of guarantee that mad cow has not
taken

> hold in the United States. Unfortunately, this firewall may have gaps

> big enough to let a herd of steer wander through it.

> First, the current ban still allows the feeding of cattle blood to

> young

> calves -- a practice that Stanley Prusiner, who won the Nobel Prize in

> medicine for his work on the proteins that cause mad cow disease,
calls

> "a really stupid idea." More important, the ban on feed has hardly
been

> enforced. A 2001 study by the Government Accounting Office found that

> one-fifth of American feed and rendering companies that handle

> prohibited material had no systems in place to prevent the
contamination

> of cattle feed. According to the report, more than a quarter of feed

> manufacturers in Colorado, one of the top beef-producing states, were

> not even aware of the F.D.A. measures to prevent mad cow disease, four

> years after their introduction.

> A follow-up study by the accounting office in 2002 said that the

> F.D.A.'s "inspection database is so severely flawed" that "it should
not

> be used to assess compliance" with the feed ban. Indeed, 14 years
after

> Britain announced its ban on feeding cattle proteins to cattle, the
Food

> and Drug Administration still did not have a complete listing of the

> American companies rendering cattle and manufacturing cattle feed.

> The Washington State Holstein at the center of the current mad cow

> crisis may have been born in Canada, but even that possibility offers

> little assurance about the state of mad cow disease in the United

> States. Last year 1.7 million live cattle were imported from Canada --

> and almost a million more came from Mexico, a country whose
agricultural

> ministry has been even slower than its American counterpart to impose

> strict safeguards against mad cow disease.

> Last year the Agriculture Department tested only 20,000 cattle for

> bovine spongiform encephalopathy, out of the roughly 35 million

> slaughtered. Belgium, with a cattle population a small fraction of
ours,

> tested about 20 times that number for the disease. Japan tests every
cow

> and steer that people are going to eat.

> Instead of testing American cattle, the government has heavily relied

> on

> work by the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis to determine how much of

> threat mad cow disease poses to the United States. For the past week
the

> Agriculture Department has emphasized the reassuring findings of these

> Harvard studies, but a closer examination of them is not comforting.

> Although thorough and well intended, they are based on computer models

> of how mad cow disease might spread. Their accuracy is dependent on

> their underlying assumptions. "Our model is not amenable to formal

> validation," says the Harvard group in its main report, "because there

> are no controlled experiments in which the introduction and
consequences

> of B.S.E. introduction to a country has been monitored and measured."

> Unfortunately, "formal validation" is exactly what we need. And the

> only

> way to get it is to begin widespread testing of American cattle for
mad

> cow disease -- with particular focus on dairy cattle, the animals at

> highest risk for the disease and whose meat provides most of the

> nation's fast food hamburgers.

> In addition, we need to give the federal government mandatory recall

> powers, so that any contaminated or suspect meat can be swiftly
removed

> from the market. As of now all meat recalls are voluntary and
remarkably

> ineffective at getting bad meat off supermarket shelves. And most of

> all, we need to create an independent food safety agency whose sole

> responsibility is to protect the public health. Let the Agriculture

> Department continue to promote American meat worldwide -- but empower

> new agency to ensure that meat is safe to eat.

> Yes, the threat to human health posed by mad cow remains uncertain.

> But

> testing American cattle for dangerous pathogens will increase the cost

> of beef by just pennies per pound. Failing to do so could impose a far

> higher price, both in dollars and in human suffering.

> /Eric Schlosser is author of "Fast Food Nation" and "Reefer
Madness."/"

---